Monday, November 17, 2008

Adelyn Rae Julien












On Thursday, October 23rd, at 4:38pm, our little one came into this world. I know that we are updating our blog an entire MONTH later, but, needless to say, it's been quite hectic around here.

On Wednesday, the 22nd, Stef and I went in for my 40+ week check-up with Dr. Locher, where we were told that their was room at the hospital, and if we wanted, we could be induced the next morning. YES!! We got a call at 5:30 the next morning and showed up nervous and excited at the hospital at 7:30am. They broke my water around 9:00am (which is one of the grossest things I've ever experienced, I CANNOT imagine what it would be like to have your water break in PUBLIC!!!!), started the epidural around noon, the drip around 1:30, and by 4:29 (honestly), they told me to start pushing. It was just Stef and our sweet nurse (who is actually Corey C.'s cousin) helping me push. She started arriving so fast, when the doc finally arrived, he told me to NOT push through the next contraction so he could get scrubbed up. So after 9 minutes of pushing she was out and screaming! I told Stef, if our babies came that fast, I won't mind have LOTS more. We joked that she timed her entrance into the world perfectly (I was hoping I'd still make in time to order dinner, which I did!!)

She was 20 1/4 inches long, 7 lbs. 1 oz., full crown of hair, and nice long toes (like her mom and Great Grandpa Gene). I knew that day she was going to be a girl. We had discussed at length girl names, but hadn't agreed on ANY. We had had our boys name picked out since day one, but were pretty stuck on a girls name. Anywho, when she was born, we ended up not calling anyone (not even our family for 2 hours) or emailing because I was adamant that we needed to have her name before we could let everyone know. :( SORRY!!!! We ended up not even deciding on one until the next morning. We had chosen the name Adelyn, but were still figuring out the spelling. So Stef wrote 3 different spellings on my whiteboard in my room and let me look at them all night. I asked all the nurses and everyone who came in, which spelling they liked, and it worked, we had her name spelling chosen by that next morning.

Her name comes from my grandpa's (my mom's dad) grandma Adelade. We had toyed with that name, but liked a different variation of it better, Adelyn. I was sold since day one, but it had to grow on Stef and he ended up falling in love with it. Someday her nickname will be Addie, but we LOVE calling her her full name, Adelyn Rae, because it is so much fun to SAY!!!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad your first labor went so great Betsy! You have a beautiful baby girl and you look great!!!
Sandi